Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Los Hervideros de San Jacinto

So I spent the weekend in Leon and Granada because I decided I wanted to leave Managua for some time. I went to see Los Hervideros de San Jacinto in Leon which are basically mud pits that are boiling because they are right below the volcanos Telica and Cerro Negro. It was interesting because you could actually feel the heat under your feet as you approached the mudpits. So my friend from Israel and I got carried away and starting taking all these pictures wherever we saw smoke rising. So the smoke went all the way up to the volcanoes themselves. A little boy approached us asking for money and we said no. Then I asked him:
"So the mudpits go all the way up to the volcanos? Look at all that smoke!"
And he goes:" ahh, no thats actually people burning garbage"

...Talk about killing the moment



Above is a picture of the actual mud pits and the smoke on the volcanos from people burning garbage.
Photographer: Danielle Roper

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Hi Danielle,

I'm applying for the watson this year (ahhh!). I want to study spoken word poetry as a social movement. I was wondering if you knew of anything going on with the spoken word scene in latin america or the caribbean? I've tried researching it on the web and contacting some poets, but it seems like the scenes in those places are particularly hidden. So if you have a free moment or if you're bored sometime within the next week or so, send an email my way.

Also, on a completely different note, que piensas de granada? me encanta la ciudad y quiero vovler pronto.

-Jess Mariglio