Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Exporting South Asian Bargaining

So I always have a favourite quote and this one has definitely taken the cake:

I was in London Heathrow Airport with my friend Pragyan from Nepal and I was getting ready to board my plane to Mumbai when the attendant informed me that the new checked baggage allowance didn't allow me to carry one of my suitcases. I asked her how much they charged for excess baggage and the total amount was 150 pounds. I was dumbstruck and a little annoyed so Pragyan grabbed me aside and said (dead serious):

"Talk to her, see if we can work something out..."
...
?????????????????????????????????????

I looked at him in wonder. I know that bribing happens everywhere, especially in Third World countries like Nepal/India/Jamaica etc but dude, we're in London!

Can you imagine me pulling the British lady aside and whispering: "Psst, hey, how about if I offer you ten rupees to sneak the second suitcase on the plane..." I mean Can we PLEASE be serious?

I thought to myself, I know that every one of us continues to bring our own cultural norms as we travel to different countries but Pragyan was prepared to take this to a whole new level. I know it was 'well-intentioned' but can we please know when and where to utilise out precious bargaining skills. I mean its a airport in a first world country, not a Bazarre! We may just get arrested in London just for trying.

But thanks Pragyan, I'm definitely going to try that when I have a problem with airport security: "Hey, let's talk about this and see if we can work something out...nobody has to know about this man?"...

2 comments:

pragyan said...

haha! that was hilarious. never thought you would take it that way. u just took it to a different level.

ok, here is my story involving the first world that you might be interested in:

location: london heathrow (same as yours)
airline: virgin atlantic (same)
flight: from heathrow to bombay (same again)
date: aug 10, 2006 i think (when london had the 'red alert' fever at its peak)

situation: 1 check-in baggage and 1 carry-on baggage (same as yours). my check-in baggage weighed 27kg (limit - 23kg) and my hand-carry weighed 10 (limit - 6kg). now guess how much i paid - NOTHING! u know why? coz i 'bargained'!

airlines want to maximize their profits by charging us (a lot) for the excess baggage when it is never really a problem for them. and i believe this is the same everywhere, not just in the third world. if you intend on being a 'good' human, u'd better have a good supply of money for yourself.

anyway, i am glad you didn't have much problems coz of your baggage. things worked out fine in the end.

D.M.R said...

aww pragy..don't take it personal..just teasing u!