Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Favourite Quotes from my mother's visit to Argentina

So we all know that Jamaicans in general have a way of saying things but no one can describe things quite the way my mother does. I don't know, my mother just has a way with words. Here are examples of what I mean:
1. My mother on Florencia's incapacity to work a full time job and be a full time university student at the same time:
"Wappen, Florencia caant waalk and chew gum same time?"
Explanation: Its kind of self-explanatory, Florencia can't walk and chew a bubble gum at the same time.

2. My mother describing the obstacles a Spanish corporation is facing in its attempt to establish a hotel chain in Jamaica:
"Danielle, yuh know like when Hawk siddung inna pitcheery chest?"
Explanation: This is in reference to a visual image of when an eagle or a hawk is about to capture a pigeon and it uses its claw to grab the bird by its chest.

3. My mother telling one of my siblings that he has absolutely lost his mind:
"YUH MUSSI DRINK MAD PUSS PISS!"
Explanation: Based on the notion in rural Jamaica that when a feline is crazy if you ingest its urine, you too will become crazy.

No comments: