Sunday, December 17, 2006

Abrazos Gratis (Free Hugs) in Chile

So this past weekend I went to Chile and this was only a few days after Pinochet died. In the same street you could find people crying and other people popping open bottles of champagne to celebrate the death of the 'asesino.' I walked through the center of Santiago and ended up following a protest against the sexual exploitation of children.
As I walked through the protest I saw a woman holding up a sign saying 'abrazos gratis' free hugs and hugging people who came up to hug her. There were about three of them with these signs so I asked her what it was all about. She told me its simply just a way to be cool with people and its part of a global campaign to just give hugs because there are days when people want to be hugged and have no one to hug them or when people want to hug somebody and don't have anybody to hug. She asked me if I wanted a sign so I said okay no problem.
I held up the sign and the first guy who hugged me started crying and told me that he had just lost his job. And I thought wow, thats pretty sad. Then the second was an old lady who hugged me and thanked me because she said she really needed it and I thought "man people in chile really need some love." Then of course, little children ran and hugged me and grabbed my hair because they had never seen dredlocks on somebody that looks like me before so that was fun for me but NOT for my dreds. Anyway, when a couple shady guys started hugging me I gave up the sign and thanked her for letting me participate.

Then I thought, what would've happened if this were done in Jamaica?

Here are some of the responses I would probably get from stereotypical Jamaican men if I held up a free hugs sign in Half-Way-Tree.

1."Den baby yuh neva need no sign!"
2."So no free kiss nah give out too?"
3. "Yuh can give me yuh numba so me can hug yuh lata?"

4. "Yuh sure is jus a hug yuh need? me can give u more tings u nuh..and it would be for free still baby."
5. "So yuh fren nah give out no free hug too?"

Yep, there would be a lot of groping going on in Half-Way-Tree if the free hugs campaign ever made it to Jamaica.

2 comments:

Iron Butterfly said...

Thats cool but out here it would probably end up with a stabbing incident or dry humping by some mad man......eewww! - Its cute though....we just arent an openly affectionate society - you rarely even see couples holding hands here, much less kissing....its a pity!

Brooklyn Soul said...

You have me cracking up at the jamaican comments :) That's why i love you. Always keep people smiling....you never need a sign.